Labels

Translate

Sunday 12 June 2016

SAMPLE GATE INDIANA UNIVERSITY, BLOOMINGTON

 - WATERCOLOR PAINTING 117mm × 124mm
RAMADHAN 1994 ...

One year has passed since a new chapter in my life began in Indiana University. A place where Malaysian students from diverse backgrounds, including myself, created our own little community.

I have countless of memories created in this place, both happy ones, or otherwise. The nostalgia still grips me now, even after so many years I have left Indiana University. At that time, the longing for home and beloved family was intensely felt by all of us, especially because it was the month of Ramadhan. The warm smiles of our parents, their loving gaze, were truly missed. The feelings of homesickness were shared by us all and became another reason for us to bond.

As a student who had just began to take interest in the fine arts, I expressed what I was feeling in the form of a raya card. For me, art became one way to sooth my longing heart. I made copies of this card for my friends, and felt good when they sent these cards to their family. Of course, back then, we didn’t have social media like Facebook or Whatsapp. That was my intent then.

I did not imagine this gesture turned out to be so meaningful in my life many years later.

Abang Ajis had supported me, as always. He was helpful all the way throughout the process, from giving me the encouragement I needed, until the end when I wanted to print my artwork.

 I wanted to make this work of art meaningful to our small Malaysian community here. So I brainstormed – what was it that meant a lot to us which deserved to be the subject of my art? In this melting pot where people from around the world met and mixed, what was the one thing that we would find meaningful – that I could immortalize in the form of an art? The longer I thought about it, the stronger I felt that Sample Gate was the right choice. This iconic landmark was indeed the most popular location as a photograph backdrop. It was also the object that appeared in print in relation to Indiana University.


I will not forget the time when Abang Ajis brought me to a few places when I was looking for a printing company who could print my raya cards. He was so delighted and supportive of my little project. Until today I cannot fathom what made him so confident that my project would work out, that he would be willing to lend a hand. But perhaps that was just who he was. Abang Ajis just liked to help everyone, he even put his needs and convenience aside.

Ah - how time flies. Life goes on without waiting for anyone. I came back home to Malaysia after I finished my studies, and picked up where I had left. I lived my life much like other ordinary people. I began to slowly forget my interest in fine arts. And sadly, I also lost touch with Abang Ajis, whom I dearly respected. 

Years passed, and I later think about Abang Ajis often. I tried looking for him through my university alumni friends, but no one knows how he was or where he was. For a long time, I was left wondering about Abang Ajis, disappointed that I couldn’t find him. And then recently … 

 One day, I received a message via Whatsapp. It was from a friend who studied in Indiana University at the same time as me. She was a novelist, and it turned out that she had published a novel about students’ life in Indiana. In fact, I got her email address from her book. I emailed her four years ago to say hello, and left my phone number. Four years later, she contacted me. I found out that this novelist was also an artist. 

She messaged me to let me know that she had kept the raya card artwork that I created more than 22 years ago, but regretfully it went missing recently. I was touched to learn that she valued my art, something beyond my humble imagination. Who knows, my little project from 22 years ago became the reason we reconnected after having lost touch for the longest of time.

We talked about our mutual friends, and it wasn’t long before I asked about Abang Ajis. “Nurol, do you remember the guy who used to live in Cottage Grove – Abang Ajis?” 

 I waited for her reply anxiously. When her message reached my inbox, I quickly clicked to read. What she wrote had baffled me.“Yes, I remember. I knew him well. He was a good man.” 

WAS? I stared had and long at the telling word.“Was? What do you mean?” I shuddered as I typed the question I loathed to hear the answer to.

“You didn’t know?” she asked. 

 “Know what?” I was still in denial. 

 “Abang Ajis has passed away, Lan.”

That’s it? This was how my search for Abang Ajis would end? I realized then that some of my questions about Abang Ajis would never be answered.        

“I learnt of this news from a few readers of my novel who contacted me via email. When I read the email, I cried. Abang Ajis helped and supported me a lot back in Indiana.” 

 So it wasn’t just me who felt that way about Abang Ajis. Such was his character. Everyone who knew him would have only positive stories about him. I pray for him all the times. No one but Allah can reward him for all the good deeds that he had done, for all the help and support he had extended to people around him. 

 There are many stories behind this raya card with a drawing of Sample Gate. I will keep it and treasure it forever, until Allah calls me home. A small artwork which meant something in the lives of a few friends. Including our dear Abang Ajis. May Allah bless him. Amin. 

~~~ As narrated to novelist Nurulsham Saidin. 



 Note:
Abang Ajis had stayed in Indiana since he was young. For some reason, he never went home to Malaysia. When we first met him back in the 1993, he was already in in his forties. He was very well-known for his cooking skills. When we were in Indiana, he cooked and catered for Malay students in high school as well as for events at the mosque. Malaysia students in Indiana University would know Abang Ajis of Cottage Grove very well. He had always been part of the community. Abang Ajis remained in Indiana until he grew older. Awhile back, he started suffering from a poor health condition, and a few Malay students persuaded him and brought him home. He passed away a mere month after being back in Malaysia. This happened circa 2011. If any reader knows more details about what had happened, we would appreciate if you could share the information with us. May Allah forgive him and place him with the people He is pleased .


Translated by- Puan Siti Malini Mat
 ~~ Writer, translator, editor


No comments:

Post a Comment